Kieran Tierney Profile

Oxlade-Chamberlain: My focus is on Arsenal

Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain

Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain says he must first make his mark at Emirates Stadium before he can be considered for an England place.

The youngster has enjoyed an exciting start to his Arsenal career since making the switch from Southampton in the summer, featuring heavily in the Carling Cup and once in the Champions League.

His impressive form has also transferred to Stuart Pearce’s England Under-21 set-up, but Oxlade-Chamberlain says he is not considering the step up to the senior squad just yet.

“I do not look too much into that because at the moment it has not happened,” he said. “I am not in the senior squad, I am in the Under-21s and the way I see it is that we go away in February and that is my focus.

“I have a lot of impressing to do at Arsenal before I think about going away with England in the summer.

“But if people are saying that, it is quite flattering to know you are being considered. My focus, though, is here at Arsenal, trying to get into the squad.”

Comparisons have been drawn between the 18-year-old and Theo Walcott as both joined Arsenal from Southampton at a young age - but Oxlade-Chamberlain says the similarities stop there.

“People are going to immediately compare me to Theo,” he admitted. “We came to Arsenal at a similar age, in similar positions, so it is an easy comparison to make.

“We are completely different players though. Theo is more of a winger or a striker, whereas I have always grown up as an attacking midfielder, who has later gone out wide.

“There are a lot of differences but at the same time Theo is a great player so for me to be compared to him is good."

Source: Arsenal.com

Comments