Kieran Tierney Profile

SZCZESNY Want To Be Arsenal's No 1 Goalkeeper for A Decade

Wojciech Szczesny
Wojciech Szczesny wants to be Arsenal's No 1 goalkeeper for the next ten years.

Since being thrust into the spotlight for his Premier League debut at Old Trafford in December, the confident 20-year-old has made the position his own following injuries to both Lukasz Fabianski and Manuel Almunia.

Szczesny has deputised impeccably in his own self-assured way and, while knowing there will be stiff competition, the Pole wants to be first choice for many years to come.

"That's my target really [a decade], that's my goal," said the stopper. "I would love to [do that] but I know I have a few others that want to have the No 1 shirt.

"I'm going to have to be at my very best to keep it. If I am given the chance to stay the No 1 I would be very happy to [continue].

"There is very good competition at the Club so I can't say there is no threat. I know that I have to be at my very best because if there is any slip up or drop in my performance, other goalkeepers will be happy to take my place.

"I can't demand playing time at a Club like this being 20-year-old. I know that when my chance came I had to take it with both hands and try to take the No 1 spot."

Szczesny may be rested for Sunday's FA Cup Fifth Round tie against Leyton Orient but knows the League One side should not be taken lightly after Wednesday's incredible win over Barcelona.

"It's the FA Cup, it always has something special about it and lower League teams seem to do very well," he added. "We are going to have to be focused and be at our best to make sure that we get through.

"We just want to win every single game, every game is the most important. Yes we beat Barcelona and we are very happy but we are going to have to focus on Leyton Orient and treat every game in the same way.

"We are Arsenal Football Club and we are favourites in most of the games we play, we have to make sure we are focused.

"I played against Orient [when I was at Brentford], I actually kept a clean sheet and we won 1-0, so I'm hoping for a good result at the weekend."

Source: Arsenal.com

Comments